I can't remember if I was a princess wannabe when I was a child.
But I know I never played with Barbie, had no princessy gowns and did not play dress up with my mum's wardrobe. Okay, that pretty much sounds like I wasn't extremely the girly type even if I do look like one.
Fast forward 30 years, I now have a lovely girl who is coming to five and it is not hard to see that she is more of a princess wannabe than I ever used to be.
1) She loves Rapunzel and Queen Elsa.
2) She likes to put on nail polish when we attend weddings.
3) She always chooses a dress to wear when we go out.
4) She loves tiaras, necklaces, bracelets and rings.
6) She loves to tie her hair in plaits and would sit down patiently just so she can have a nice hairdo.
7) She has a gorgeous smile befitting of a true princess.
9) She likes to look in the mirror and smile, not in a narcissistic but a sweet, innocent manner.
10) She once told me that her lifelong ambition is to be a princess. Okay, to be fair, she had many ambitions from mummy, teacher, doctor to the most recent one, zookeeper. But princess, yes, it is in the list.
During our staycation in Village Katong Hotel, she was on top of the world when dolled up like a pretty princess and all I needed was a dress, hair accessory and bracelet. No glass slippers, carriage or even any makeup required. It was then I realised the joy a simple act can bring and dressing up shouldn't need a special reason or occasion.
After all, that is one of the special things about having daughters, right? Just so you know, dear Angel, you will always be a most lovely princess in Mama's eyes and I am just thankful I now have not one, but two beautiful princesses in my life.
Definitely makes me the poorest but happiest queen in the world.