I remember when I gave birth to Angel in Sweden, I wore a casual spaghetti strap dress to the hospital. Right at the point when I was about to push out the baby, the midwives informed that I needed to change into the hospital gown. But as I was experiencing such intense pain at that point, eventually they decided not to put anything on me. So yes, I gave birth naked. Totally.
This time round, I decided to be more prepared for the big day. After all, Singapore is still considered a relatively conservative society, take for instance the Swedes breastfeed openly in the public places but Singaporeans do it under the covers or in nursing rooms.
Hence, the one most important item in my hospital bag was my Birthing Gown. No idea what it is? Read on to find out and what's more, A Happy Mum is now giving away one of these birthing gowns from Maternity Exchange (worth S$89.90) to a lucky reader!
The best thing about having your very own birthing gown is that you can bid farewell to the dull hospital gowns and honestly, it does make you feel good to be wearing something cosy and chic. In fact, it boosts your confidence as a soon-to-be mummy too.
The fact that it can be opened easily at the back means that you do not have to disrobe even if you choose to take epidural. What I love most about the gown is that with its V-neckline and velcro straps at the shoulders, it provides access for easy breastfeeding. To me, the feeling of breastfeeding is one of the best things about being a mum and in order to enjoy the process and the bonding part even more, you should be feeling at ease, snug and happy.
When my gynae saw this birthing gown, which I had taken the liberty of changing into, she suggested that since it was so comfortable and easy for breastfeeding, I should keep it for use after the bloody mess has been cleaned up. So yes, eventually I gave birth in the hospital gown and kept this pretty gown for use on my first night of stay.
What I like about the birthing gown:
- The stretch fabric fits comfortably on the skin
- It is functional yet looks elegant and stylish
- It can be use postnatal as a breastfeeding gown
- The material is thin and since it can get quite chilly in the hospital, you might need to wear an extra jacket
- Although the velcros make it easy to unfasten the gown at the shoulders, they diminish its elegance
The birthing gown was created in 2011 with the belief that women should wear the clothing of their choice - particularly a gown that's functional, well-fitting and beautiful. It is now sold in boutiques all over the U.S. and has been featured in various women's wear magazines. It is available at Maternity Exchange, #03-108 Marina Square and online at www.maternityexchange.sg. Maternity Exchange also carries two other brands of maternity delivery gowns: Pretty Pushers and Designer Mamas.
Giveaway for A Happy Mum readers! We are giving away a Birthing Gown in the colour of your choice (Blueberry Pie, Blush, Champagne Blue, Cocoa Pink) to one lucky reader.
How to enter:
1) Like Maternity Exchange and A Happy Mum on Facebook and leave a comment below with your FB name + email.
2) For a 2nd chance to win, share the link to this post (http://www.ahappymum.com/2013/01/for-chic-mamas-birthing-gown-giveaway.html) and Maternity Exchange website (www.maternityexchange.sg) on Twitter/Blog and leave a comment below with your Twitter/Blog link + email.
3) For a 3rd chance to win, share this giveaway via A Happy Mum on Facebook and leave a comment below with your FB name + email. (Simply visit my Facebook Page, look for the giveaway post and click “Share”)
Note: If you do not wish to post your email here, drop me a note at email@example.com. You do not have to complete all tasks to enter, however the more tasks you complete, the higher your chances of winning.
Terms and Conditions:
1) This giveaway is open to readers of A Happy Mum who are residing in Singapore only. The winner will be required to collect the birthing gown in-store.
This giveaway ends on 27 Jan (Sun) 2359hrs. The winner will be randomly selected and contacted via email. Results will be posted here and on my Facebook page the following day.
It doesn't matter that you are not pregnant now. If you are an aspiring mum, planning to conceive or have loved ones who are expecting, this birthing gown could be a great gift.
Now who says mums can't look chic and feel confident?
Maternity Exchange offers a wide range of gift and accessories for mummies, babies and also daddies alike! Indulge your expectant friends and loved ones, or even yourself with some wacky, practical or simply delightful gifts! View their range of gifts and accessories and maternity delivery gowns.
Congratulations to Tyressa Lu for being the winner of this giveaway! Thanks to those who participated and do stay tuned for more upcoming giveaways!
Disclosure: Maternity Exchange provided the birthing gowns for review and giveaway. No monetary compensation was received in writing this post and all opinions are my own.